STOPtheSHAFT - Putney & Barnes
Thames Water needs a site in West London from which to build their 'Super Sewer'. We are in favour of a cleaner river and support the Super Sewer but strongly believe that brownfield rather than greenfield sites should be used to build it.
Thames Water originally favoured a brownfield site at Hammersmith, where a hugely polluting CSO is located. However, planning permission was granted by the local council which meant that this was not possible.
In September 2010 Barn Elms was then proposed as their preferred site and Stop the Shaft was set up as a result. Our sole aim is to prevent this important sporting hub and beautiful, green area, which is enjoyed by thousands of people each week from all over London and sits in between the world renowned Wetlands Wildlife Centre and a dense residential area in Putney, from turning into this.
Brief status of campaign: Barn Elms is no longer Thames Water's preferred location for the West London drive shaft site - instead Carnwath Road is. No new information came to light during Phase 2 of the Thames Tunnel consultation that made them change this preference.
Entries by Title
- Targeted consultation for Barn Elms CSO only site
- Thames Water publish results of phase 2 of consultation
- Results of proximity study requested by STS are concerning
- Consensus on Thames Water's CSO plans for Barn Elms
- Wandsworth council supports STS's phase 2 response
- STS phase 2 response guidelines now available
- Productive meeting with Thames Water on 5th December
- Barn Elms no longer preferred site for building Super Sewer
- Lord Selbourne's Commission Supports STS's CSO findings
- Thames Water will announce their decision on 4th November
- STS chairman gives oral evidence to Lord Selbourne's Commission
- 16,130 petition signatures received by 16th August!
- Hammersmith & Fulham Chronicle misquotes MP Zac Goldsmith
- 'I Love Barn Elms' fun day success despite the weather
- 'I love Barn Elms' campaign launched
- 16,000th signature on 16th - Thames Water watch this space!
- Environment Agency confirm the Putney CSOs did not contribute to fish kill
- Local celebrities, MP's and councils flock to back our campaign
- Thames Water begins monitoring Barn Elms CSO
- Hurlingham Wharf is Safeguarded
- STS say THANK YOU EVERYONE!
- STS issue formal statement in response to TW's consultation findings
- Thames Water publish results from phase 1 of consultation
- STS were out in force at the Boat Race
- Local rowing clubs raise concerns regarding proposed jetty
- Thames Water announce potential alternative to Barn Elms
- STS attend Justine Greening's 1st Working Group Meeting
- STS staged a successful protest on 15 March
- STS to hold peaceful demonstration outside People's Question Time
- Thames Water may rethink Barn Elms
- Putney's air quality and the Thames Water lorries
- Justine Greening's Working Group starts up
- CSO discharge figures may be incorrect